Resident Evil 1.5 Impressions


It’s 1998 again and I’m cautiously walking down a half-lit corridor of the Raccoon Police Station. Something odd is in the air. Everything is a tad too bright and the décor of the station is a bit too goddamn modern. Then it hits me: I haphazardly passed a mirror. Something about my reflection is completely off…. no longer am I a brunette looking for my brother Chris Redfield, I’m some sort of blonde in a motorcycling getup. What’s this in my hands? A knife—and a University of Raccoon identification card?

Eliza Walker?!

Goddamn it. What the hell is going on here? I take a left through a set of gray doors, landing me in some large hall. There seems to be shuffling. It’s an undead creature. Drawing a pistol, I proceed to unload several rounds into its rotting carcass. It continues still. One more shot. It’s down. That was an entire clip. FUCK. More shuffling can be heard. There is another one. Then arrives yet another. Then, there is a room full of them. The undead monster that I've moments ago shot down, has just gotten back up.

I’m screwed. Time to run back—

--and I’m intercepted. There are too many now. They surround me.

Rotting hands reach forward. And then...


AUGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

I remember that playing Resident Evil 2 as a kid was sort of like watching this intensely cool horror movie that featured zombies. Everything was a matter of survival and every corner filled me with quite a bit of dread. There was always a sense of mystery that came with the game. It doesn’t help that before Resident Evil 2 had actually been released, there was a prototype version of the same game that was 80% completed. This prototype of Resident Evil 2 became known to many Resident Evil fans as ‘Resident Evil 1.5’.

Man, that’s a mouthful. But anyways, the prototype was quite different from its final product. It featured a more modern looking RPD, armor that could be picked up and worn, Ada the researcher, and finally- Eliza Walker. No more sibling rivalries for the Resident Evil series. It would have been a completely new game, with completely new characters. The gameplay is also a tad different too… what little I’ve experienced of it for now (it featured swarming zombies ganging up on you with an inability to die).

The mysterious prototype had always been a point of interest for Resident Evil fans. Here was basically an unreleased version of one of the best games in the series. Throughout the years, various petitions were put up, calling for it’s released, modifications to Resident Evil 2 had been made by fans, but it wasn’t until around last year when Team IGAS released a somewhat playable version of 1.5, that things truly got interesting.


Team IGAS is responsible for bringing Resident Evil 1.5 to us.

Apparently the mysterious (note the pattern here?) Team IGAS has gotten a hold of an unfinished 40% completed prototype. They are now attempting to rebuild the game to a retail quality for public release. After more than ten years, Resident Evil fans will now be getting that which they’ve been asking for: a full release of the prototype.

Personally, I’m excited. With all the changes to Resident Evil these last few years, it would be interesting to play what is essentially a new PSX survival horror game. Brings me back memories of 1998.
 

For those interested:

*Grab demo here.
(emulator needed)

*Grab patch here.


*Thank the team here.
Posted on 3:41 PM by Shiro Xavier and filed under , , | 2 Comments »

2 comments:

download qooapp apkpure said... @ February 26, 2018 at 11:25 PM

This is very great and brilliant information.

homemade tests for pregnancy said... @ March 1, 2018 at 3:28 AM

This is very great and brilliant information.

Post a Comment